The crime rate is low but violent crime, including mugging, does occur.
Petty crime, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, CANADA VISA FOR LITHUANIA CITIZENS occasionally occurs, particularly on public transport and in barsand night clubs.
Car theft and theft from cars also does occur.
Single individuals that might look like they are in possession of money or valuable belongings, may be targeted in less populated areas after dark. Individuals have also been harassed for reasons of race or foreign-looking appearance.
- Ensure that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times
- At night, avoid walking alone in parks, poorly lit areas, parking lots and side streets and alleys, particularly in the Central Station, Naujininkai, Old Town and Užupis neighbourhoods of Vilnius
- Never leave personal belongings unattended in a vehicle
- Use secure parking facilities, especially overnight
There is a threat of terrorism in Europe. Terrorist attacks have occurred in a number of European cities. There is a potential for other violent incidents.
Targets could include:
- government buildings, including schools
- places of worship
- airports and other transportation hubs and networks
- public areas such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels and other sites frequented by foreigners
Always be aware of your surroundings when in public places.
Credit card and ATM fraud is a concern, particularly in areas frequented CANADA VISA FOR NETHERLANDS CITIZENS tourists. Strangers may invite you to visit local bars.This is often a ploy to overcharge customers for drinks. Discussions about overcharging may lead to threats of violence and security guards may force you to pay.
Be cautious when using debit or credit cards:
- pay careful attention when your cards are being handled by others
- use ATMs located in well-lit public areas or inside a bank or business
- avoid using card readers with an irregular or unusual feature
- cover the keypad with one hand when entering your PIN
- check for any unauthorized transactions on your account statements
Demonstrations take place from time to time. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent at any time. They can also lead to disruptions to traffic and public transportation.
- Avoid areas where demonstrations and large gatherings are taking place
- Follow the instructions of local authorities
- Monitor local media for information on ongoing demonstrations
Mass gatherings (large-scale events)
Spiked food and drinks
Never leave food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers. Be wary of accepting snacks, beverages, gum or cigarettes from new acquaintances. These items may contain drugs that could put you at risk of sexual assault and robbery.
This is of particular concern at bus and railway stations, but you should remain cautious in night clubs, too
Roads are generally in good condition but lanes are not always clearly marked.
Travelling at night in rural areas can be hazardous due to slow-moving horse-drawn carts, bicycles and vehicles travelling without taillights or reflectors on poorly lit streets and highways.
Driving conditions may be hazardous during winter.
Drivers can be aggressive.
Rail service is efficient and reliable. Most trains are new and comfortable. Make sure that your personal belongings are secure at all times, especially when travelling on overnight international trains.
Bus service throughout the country is safe and reliable. Frequent bus and air services link Lithuania to neighbouring countries.
Taxis are inexpensive. Use only officially marked taxis from taxi stands or reputable hotels.
To avoid being overcharged, negotiate the price in advance and ensure that the taxi driver is using the meter. Always ask for a receipt.
We do not make assessments on the compliance of foreign domestic airlines with international safety standards.