Pickpocketing, purse snatching and mugging occur, particularly in Bucharest and other urban centres. Be vigilant in crowded areas such as busy streets, public transportation, train stations and airport terminals. Avoid walking alone after dark.
Organized groups of thieves are particularly active in public CANADA VISA FOR ROMANIA CITIZENS transport hubs, such as train and bus stations, and subways.
Theft can occur on intercity trains. Don’t leave your compartment unattended. Always lock the door from the inside. Don’t travel on your own, particularly on overnight trains.
Theft from hotel rooms is common. Make sure your valuables are always locked away if leaving them in the room while you’re away.
Ensure that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times, particularly on public transportation. Avoid showing signs of affluence and carrying large sums of cash.
There is a threat of terrorism in Europe. Terrorists have carried out attacks in several European cities and further attacks are likely.
Targets could include:
- government buildings, including schools
- places of worship
- airports and other transportation hubs and networks
- public areas such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, CANADA VISA FOR SLOVAKIA CITIZENS coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels and other sites frequented by foreigners
Always be aware of your surroundings when in public places. Be particularly vigilant if attending sporting events and during religious holidays and other public celebrations, as terrorists have used such occasions to mount attacks.
Individuals posing as plainclothes police officers may ask you to see your foreign currency and passports. Politely decline to cooperate, but offer to go to the nearest police station to sort out the issue.
Some bars and nightclubs may try to charge exorbitant prices. Discussions about overcharging may lead to threats of violence and security guards may force you to pay.
Credit card and ATM fraud occurs. Be cautious when using debit or credit cards:
- pay careful attention when your cards are being handled by others
- use ATMs located in well-lit public areas or inside a bank or business
- avoid using card readers with an irregular or unusual feature
- cover the keypad with one hand when entering your PIN
- check for any unauthorized transactions on your account statements
Cybercrime occurs. Perpetrators may compromise public Wi-Fi networks to steal credit card or personal information.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks
- Avoid making purchases on unencrypted websites
- Be cautious when posting information on social media
- Be particularly vigilant when contacting or meeting individuals known over the internet
Spiked food and drinks
Never leave food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers. Be wary of accepting snacks, beverages, gum or cigarettes from new acquaintances, as the items may contain drugs that could put you at risk of sexual assault and robbery.
Demonstrations take place from time to time. Even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent at any time. They can also lead to disruptions to traffic and public transportation.
- avoid areas where demonstrations and large gatherings are taking place
- follow the instructions of local authorities
- monitor local media for information on ongoing demonstrations
Mass gatherings (large-scale events)
Road conditions and road safety can vary greatly throughout the country. With the exception of major city streets and intercity highways, many roads are in disrepair, poorly lit, narrow and without marked lanes.
Driving can be hazardous due to aggressive drivers, erratic driving behaviour and excessive speeds.
Don’t drive after dark outside of major cities due to unsafe conditions. These can include horse-drawn carts without lights and wandering livestock on the road.
Use only licensed metered taxis that display their price lists. Verify the tariffs on the taxi’s window before boarding and ensure that the meter displays the correct tariff. Tariffs are more expensive at night and when travelling outside of the city limits.
At the Bucharest Henri Coandă International Airport, arrange for a taxi from the taxis booth within the arrivals terminal to get a fair rate. Don’t hail a taxi on the street; instead, order one from your hotel or use a trusted ride-sharing app.
Avoid travelling alone in a taxi to remote areas.
Rail services safety standards are generally good.
We do not make assessments on the compliance of foreign domestic airlines with international safety standards.