Now that you know which dog to choose according to the breed, let’s go to the next level. The Campbell test was developed by William Campbell, an American psychologist specializing in canine behavior , and it is used to determine the general innate tendency of a puppy and its character. With this test you will be able to know how to choose a German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Maltese Bichon or any breed puppy.
You may also be interested in: Toni Eakes
BEFORE CARRYING OUT THE CAMPBELL TEST FOR PUPPIES
To make the character test as accurate as possible:
- You must carry out the test as soon as possible, that is, around 7 or 8 weeks of life , since after 2 months the results of the character test will be influenced by the environment.
- The person performing the Campbell test must never have been in contact with the puppy before.
- Evaluate puppies individually and without their parents.
- Carry out the Campbell test twice and in different places and the results will be more objective.
LET’S GO FOR THE SURVEY TO CHOOSE A DOG!
Table of Contents
Now is the time to go puppy by puppy and have a notebook and pen handy to write down the answers to the Campbell test:
1. ATTRACTION TO AN UNKNOWN PERSON
We are going to place the puppy in the center of a room and we place ourselves in front of him at an intermediate distance and opposite to the entrance. Now we kneel and call him.
- The puppy comes straight with its tail high, jumps and/or bites.
- It comes directly to us with its tail high and gives us the paw.
- It comes straight but with the tail down.
- He approaches with fear and with his tail down.
- It doesn’t come or come close.
2. FOLLOW THE HUMAN
With the Campbell test in hand, we stand next to the puppy and begin to walk slowly, inviting it to follow us and observing its reaction.
- It follows us with its tail held high, even playing with the shoelaces or biting our leg.
- It also follows us with its tail high and when we stop it jumps at our feet.
- It follows us but with doubts and its tail lowered.
- He follows us with his tail down and afraid.
- He doesn’t follow us.
3. SUBMISSION TO THE HUMAN
It is time to lay the puppy on its back holding it gently, keeping it in this position for 10 to 30 seconds. Now we write down in our Campbell test the answer:
- It does not allow itself to be turned around, it bites and hits us with its tail.
- He won’t let us and tries to turn around but without growling or biting.
- He resists but in the end he calms down and lets himself be defeated.
- He leaves and licks our hands a little scared.
- He leaves the first time, plays and licks us.
4. MANIPULATION OF THE DOG WITHOUT LIKING IT.
We caressed and manipulated it, not letting it escape with “VERY soft” blows along its spine and stroking it against the grain up to its nape. Here we will check the willingness of the puppy to accept something that he does not like:
- He avoids us, jumps, gives us the paw, growls or bites.
- He jumps up and gives us the paw without growling.
- It writhes and licks us.
- It allows itself to be manipulated perfectly and follows our hands.
- He walks away and keeps his distance.
5. ELEVATION OF THE PUPPY
Here we will see the dog’s reaction to the loss of control. To carry it out, we take the puppy from the chest and raise it to approximately one meter, and we keep it like this for 30 seconds.
- It does not allow itself to be raised, it shakes and growls.
- Moves and shakes but does not growl or bark.
- He rebels for a few seconds, then he gives up and calms down.
- He allows us to lift him up and licks us.
- It allows us to raise you without any problem (or unpredictable responses)
CAMPBELL TEST RESULTS
After doing the five tests of the Campbell test for puppies , we draw the following conclusions, but are the results reliable? Well, it is the most used and is quite reliable. Even so, to assess it, you must have a lot of experience in dealing with puppies, in case there are nuances that can give different results to those of the test.
TWO, THREE OR MORE ANSWERS A AND SOME B
Here we would have a rebellious dog with a very independent and dominant character and it will be difficult for him to obey orders easily. This kind of character is stable but it requires a lot of firmness on our part and if we have much better experience. This dog will be suitable for defense and guard tasks as it reacts well to danger.
THREE OR MORE TYPE B RESPONSES
Here we have a dominant dog too but more stable than the previous one. He is sociable but needs firm treatment from us.
THREE OR MORE TYPE C RESPONSES
This dog will be very balanced and sociable. nothing aggressive but he will be able to come out in our defense if necessary. He is not recommended for guard tasks but as a companion dog.
TWO, THREE OR MORE TYPE D RESPONSES WITH SOME E RESPONSES
Here we find a very submissive and kind dog , sensitive to anger when he misbehaves. In addition, he could bite and run away out of fear if he feels attacked.
TWO OR MORE TYPE E RESPONSES
As last we have the pasota . He has an independent character and little willing to live with people. We find ourselves a difficult dog to raise and educate. Over time they could become aggressive to maintain their independence and bite if we scold them.
What is a good dog and what is bad?
We must not forget that there are no “good” or “bad” results since everything depends on the objective of having a dog, one for therapy is not the same as one for defense, company, police, etc.
No matter which one we choose, it will be our companion until its last days and that entails physical, mental and economic responsibilities and it is estimated that the average annual expense per pet is €1,200, of which 30% goes to veterinarians.
OUR PET INSURANCE +
This new pet insurance + helps families who have a dog and/or cat to give them the best care without having to pay 100% of the cost.
WHAT COVERAGE DOES THE PET INSURANCE PLUS INCLUDE?
- veterinary assistance
- Compensation for death, sacrifice expenses and disposal of remains
- Residence stay due to caregiver mishap
- civil liability
- Defense and claim
- Travel Assistance
One of the most outstanding features of Segurea is the possibility of adapting the insurance so that you only take out the coverage you need in your insurance and pet insurance also has this flexibility, so that you can create the perfect insurance for the needs of your family and of your pet without paying more.
Pet insurance helps you with the care of your pet so that you can provide them with the best attention and care.
Request more information and we will inform you without obligation in less than 24 hours.
Until next time animal lovers !