Hernia and its types – Inguinal, Incisional, Umbilical, and Hiatal


Hernia and its types - Inguinal, Incisional, Umbilical, and Hiatal
Hernia and its types - Inguinal, Incisional, Umbilical, and Hiatal
Spread the love

When does Hernia happen? It happens when a particular internal organ pushes its way through a weak spot in the tissue or muscles. Most of the time, Hernia occurs within an abdominal cavity formed between the chest and the hips. Generally, they do not cause pain. They are observed as a bulge or a lump in the groin or belly. 

A Hernia is a very common disease that has the potential to occur among people of any age group. Sources suggest that nearly 75% to 80% of cases are Inguinal or Femoral Hernia. The remaining 20% is divided into several parts. 3% to 10% are Umbilical. It affects children up to the age of five. Of the rest, 2% is Incisional or Ventral, and the remaining 1% to 3% are of other types. If you are suffering from Hernia, you must get treated as soon as possible. Most of the time, treatment means surgery irrespective of the type of Hernia you may be suffering from. 

What Is The Cause Of Hernia?

Femoral and Inguinal Hernia is caused due to weak muscles that could have been present in the body since birth. It can also be associated with aging. It causes strains in the abdominal or groin areas. These strains come from obesity, pregnancy, physical exertion, frequent coughing, and the pressure exerted during passing stools due to constipation. 

Overweight adults or those who have strained their abdominal area may develop Umbilical hernia. It can also be caused due to childbirth or the exertion of too much pressure while coughing. The cause of Hiatal Hernia has not been discovered completely, but the experts consider weakening of the diaphragm with age or pressure put on the abdominal area could be a cause. 

See also  Hair Transplant in Jaipur: Treatment, Techniques, And Risks

What Are The Symptoms Of Hernia?

The symptoms of different types of Hernia are not grave. They are regular issues that a person could face. However, treatment for them becomes necessary to avoid any future complications. Mentioned below are the symptoms that you should look for:    

  • Having pain while lifting. 
  • Having a dull and aching sensation on the body at times. 
  • Having a swelling or bulge in the groin or scrotum. 
  • Having signs of bowel obstruction. 
  • Having increased pain at the site of the bulge caused by the hernia.  

Types Of Hernia 

The main types of Hernia are:

  1. Inguinal Hernia  

It is a type of groin Hernia. Sources suggest that a majority of those afflicted with hernia have it in their groin. Hence, it is the most common type of Hernia. It is caused when a part of the intestine pushes into the lower belly through weakness and affects the groin. People usually get Inguinal Hernia by lifting heavy objects. It is more commonly seen in men. 

How is it possible to spot an Inguinal Hernia? Most likely, it could appear as a lump where your thigh and groin meet. The symptoms to be noticed apart from the lump are fever, purple or red colored lumps, pain, and vomiting. In many cases, there are trouble passing bowels as well. 

  1. Incisional Hernia 

If you have undergone surgery that required opening up the stomach, there is a chance of developing this type of Hernia later. It is not difficult for a tissue to poke through an unhealed wound. It can get serious if it is not taken care of. 

See also  The 10 Best Tips and Tricks for Losing Weight

It is even more common among people who have undergone emergency surgery. Apart from surgeries, this type of hernia develops due to excess weight gain or loss, pregnancy, or excessive exercise. Certain conditions aggravate Incisional Hernia. Other habits that encourage this condition include smoking, obesity, diabetes, and a failed kidney. Those above the age of 60 or are on long-term medication run the risk of developing an Incisional Hernia. 

  1. Umbilical Hernia

It is the second most common Hernia that people get. It is caused when a part of the intestine pushes through a muscle near the belly button. It is most common in newborn babies and babies who are below six months of age. However, even adults can get an Umbilical Hernia. This Hernia does not cause pain. These rise with a lump on the body near the belly button. There are no other signs of Umbilical Hernia to observe.  

  1. Hiatal Hernia

It is different from the other types of Hernia that we have discussed. These are related to the diaphragm. In Hiatal Hernia, the bulge forms at the junction of the esophagus and the stomach. It may cause pain in the chest, heartburn, acidity reflux, along with a sour taste in the mouth. 

If you think you may be suffering from any of these forms of Hernia, speak to your doctor urgently. Remember, health is wealth.


0 Comments

Your email address will not be published.