Last updated on February 16th, 2023 at 12:35 pm
London is known for its historical and cultural landmarks, but it is also known for its aging infrastructure, including its plumbing system. Unfortunately, plumbing emergencies can happen at any time, and one of the most serious emergencies is a burst pipe. In this blog, we will discuss what you should do when the pipes burst in your London home.
Turn off the Main Water Supply
The first thing you should do when the pipes burst is to turn off the main water supply. This will stop the flow of water and minimize the damage. The main water shutoff valve is usually located near the water meter or in the basement.
How to Locate the Main Water Shutoff Valve?
If you are unsure where the main water shutoff valve is located, you can try the following steps:
- Check near the water meter, which is usually located near the street
- Check in the basement or crawl space
- Check outside near the foundation of the house
- If you cannot locate the main water shutoff valve, check the owner’s manual or contact a professional plumber
Call a Professional Plumber
Once you have turned off the main water supply, the next step is to call a professional plumber. A professional plumber will have the tools and experience to repair the burst pipe and prevent further damage to your home. It is important to call a professional plumber as soon as possible to minimize the damage.
How to Choose a Professional Plumber?
When choosing a professional plumber, it is important to consider the following factors:
- License and insurance: Make sure the plumber is licensed and insured
- Experience: Look for a plumber with experience in burst pipe repairs
- Availability: Choose a plumber who is available 24/7 for emergencies
- Cost: Get multiple quotes from different plumbers and compare the costs
Prevent Further Damage
While you are waiting for the professional plumber to arrive, you can take steps to prevent further damage. You can try the following:
- Locate the source of the leak and place a bucket or towel under the leak to catch the water
- Turn off the electricity to the affected area to avoid the risk of electrical shock
- Move any valuables or furniture to a safe place
How to Prevent Burst Pipes?
To prevent burst pipes, it is important to regularly maintain your plumbing system. You can do the following to prevent burst pipes:
- Insulate your pipes: Insulate your pipes to protect them from freezing in cold weather
- Know the signs of a frozen pipe: If you suspect a frozen pipe, turn off the main water supply and call a professional plumber
- Keep your pipes warm: Keep your pipes warm by keeping the temperature in your home above 55°F
- Know where the main water shutoff valve is located: In case of an emergency, it is important to know where the main water shutoff valve is located
Burst pipes can be a serious plumbing emergency, but by following the steps outlined in this blog, you can minimize the damage. It is important to turn off the main water supply and call a professional plumber as soon as possible. You can also prevent burst pipes by regularly maintaining your plumbing system and knowing the signs of a frozen pipe. By being prepared and taking action, you can protect your home from the damage caused by a burst pipe.