Management of Insect Sting Allergic Reaction



Every year, thousands of people suffer from insect sting-related allergic reactions. Most of us will eventually receive an insect bite in our lifetime resulting in mild to moderate localized pain and swelling. However, for some of us, a single sting can lead to a life-threatening reaction known as anaphylaxis without proper management.

It’s important to recognize the signs and symptoms of insect allergies and have a plan ready in case you experience anaphylaxis. To help with this, I’ll explain how to identify an allergic reaction to mosquito stings, wasp stings, bee stings, and more! I’ll also provide advice on what kind of treatments are available and how they should be administered.

Finally, I’ll review some preventive measures that you can take before coming into contact with these types of insects so that you can better avoid experiencing any dangerous allergic reactions.

Common Insects that Cause Sting Allergic Reactions

Insect sting allergic reactions can be caused by a variety of different stinging insects and arthropods, but certain species are more likely to cause reactions than others. Common culprits include bees, wasps, paper wasps, hornets, fire ants, yellow jackets, and some spiders.

Bees generate an allergic reaction most often since they have a tendency to sting rather than bite. Wasps, however, can cause serious problems for those who are allergic to their venom since they both sting and bite. Hornet stings are especially dangerous because the venom can remain active in the body even after the person is no longer near them. Fire ants will also inject venom when they sting, which is why they must be treated with caution.

Finally, yellow jackets tend to live in colonies while some species of spider—particularly black widow or brown recluse spiders—can produce venom that can cause serious allergic reactions if not promptly treated. It’s important to recognize these common insect culprits so that you know when it is necessary to seek medical treatment if a sting occurs.

Symptoms

Insect sting allergic reaction symptoms typically include severe swelling, warmth, hives, trouble breathing or speaking, rapid heart rate, nausea, or vomiting. These symptoms can be mild to severe and should not be taken lightly. In addition to these physiological signs and symptoms, some people may experience mental or psychological ones like confusion or anxiety.

For individuals with an insect sting allergy, it is important to recognize the earliest signs and symptoms of a reaction in order to intervene early before it becomes more serious. If left untreated, more serious reactions called anaphylaxis can occur, which require immediate medical attention or a visit to the emergency department as they can be life-threatening.

Anaphylaxis or anaphylactic reaction is identified by two or more of the following symptoms: swelling of the lips face and tongue; narrowing of the airways with wheezing and/or difficulty breathing; shock due to a sudden decrease in blood pressure; dizziness; confusion or trouble speaking; skin rash over a large area of the body; and stomach cramps, diarrhea or vomiting.

If any of these serious symptoms are present after being stung by an insect immediately seek emergency medical assistance.

Diagnosing

Diagnosing insect sting allergies is typically fairly straightforward and performed by allergy specialists. If the person has a history of severe systems after being stung, such as difficulty breathing, hives, and swelling of the face and throat, then an allergy is usually assumed. Additional tests may include allergy skin testing which helps to identify whether there are immunoglobulins (or antibodies) that react to particular insect venom proteins. Blood tests such as a RAST or ELISA will also help to confirm allergic responses to certain allergens found in insect stings.

If possible, it’s important to know what type of stinging insect caused the reaction. Knowing this can be invaluable for successful management and avoidance measures in the future. Once an individual has been properly diagnosed with an allergy to insect stings, the doctor will recommend appropriate treatments for emergency use in case of another sting allergic reaction.

Management and Treatment

Management and treatment of insect sting allergic reactions are essential to avoid complications. When someone experiences a severe reaction, the most important thing is to remain calm and call 911 or seek emergency treatment.

Severe reactions can manifest as anaphylaxis, which is why epinephrine injections, commonly known as epi-pens, are the first line of defense for those who are at a greater risk for life-threatening allergic reactions. Lowered blood pressure and airway blockage may occur during anaphylaxis, so prompt medical attention is critical.

Aside from epi-pen injections, oral antihistamines and corticosteroids may be useful in treating mild or moderate allergic reactions. However, if a person’s condition worsens or does not resolve after an injection, it’s imperative to seek immediate medical attention.

If you or someone you know has experienced an insect sting allergen reaction, it’s important to talk to your doctor about preventative measures such as allergen immunotherapy, which helps reduce future risks of allergic reactions by introducing small doses of allergen extract over time in order to build up immunity against that particular allergen.

Venom Immunotherapy

Venom Immunotherapy, sometimes known as desensitization, is a form of treatment for insect sting allergic reactions. This method involves the patient receiving small, increasing doses of bee venom or wasp venom to build up their tolerance to the allergen. Eventually, through this process, the patient is less susceptible to having a severe and life-threatening reaction upon being stung by an insect.

First, during a sensitization phase, smaller amounts of allergen are injected under the skin over multiple sessions spaced out over time. Then comes an induction phase where larger amounts of the allergen are injected until reaching full dosage amounts. In clinical studies, it is usually recommended that patients receive injections for about three years in order to maintain full immunity against future stings and prevent serious reactions from occurring.

This type of treatment can be very effective when implemented correctly and can help those with allergies protect themselves from suffering serious medical complications should they ever be stung by an insect in the future.

Avoiding Insect Stings

Avoiding insect stings is the best way to prevent an allergic reaction. This can be achieved by avoiding places where insects are likely to be found, such as woods or gardens. In addition, wearing protective clothing like long sleeves and pants when outdoors can help mitigate the risk of being bitten.

Also, remember to regularly check your vehicle and home for nests that may have been established by wasps or bees. If you find one, contact a professional pest control service as soon as possible before it causes any harm.

In addition, limiting activities during high-risk times like dusk or dawn is also recommended. Finally, regular use of insect repellent can significantly decrease your chance of getting stung.


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to receive the weekly Newsletters from our website. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you.