Decided to get a divorce? Move out and start searching for a divorce attorney. The sooner you will hire a divorce attorney, the better. Never hired a divorce attorney before, not sure how to hire one? No problem, here are a few tips that would help you in hiring a good divorce attorney.
- Do thorough research and get the references
- Arrange meetings with multiple lawyers
- Ask questions
- The lawyer should hold a good reputation
- Have a written agreement with the lawyer
Do thorough research and get the references
Now that you have decided to get a divorce, it’s important to know your options. You can get plenty of information from the internet and a friend or family member who has recently gotten divorced, our divorce law firm can also help. There would be a lot of divorce attorneys in the city or state you live in. However, there would only be a few who can consider and hire for the job. To have multiple options to choose from you have to take the references. You can take references from friends, family, and as well as trusted advisers. You would surely end up finding a bunch of quality options.
Arrange meetings with multiple lawyers
You should not blindly trust the references that you have received from your loved ones. It’s also possible that the divorce attorney that worked well for a loved one may not be as good for you. Therefore, what you have to do is arrange the meetings with the shortlisted options and judge yourself. To judge whether the divorce attorney is good for the job or not, discuss your case and ask how he would handle the case.
Apart from discussing your case with the divorce attorney, you need to know about him/her as well. To get to know a divorce attorney, you have to ask him some questions. If not more, ask the following questions at least
- How many divorce cases have you handled so far?
- How many divorce cases have you won?
- Do you have any experience in handling financial settlements?
- How would you handle my case?
- What would you charge for your services?
- What would be the outcome of my case?
- What is your caseload like at the moment?
- When and how would I be allowed to contact you?
- Would there be any extra charges?
- Would we have any written agreement?
The lawyer should hold a good reputation
Make sure the lawyer you hire holds a good reputation. If the lawyer holds a good reputation, he would surely be experienced and qualified enough to handle your case well. Read the reviews and ask the people in your area about the lawyer’s reputation.
Have a written agreement with the lawyer
Most lawyers avoid having a written agreement with their clients because such agreements bound them to their promises. You should insist the lawyer have a written agreement. It would give you peace of mind that there will be no additional charges and if the lawyer does not fulfill his promise he has to pay the damages.