In case you listen the words “equity capital markets (ecm)”, you might immediately think about preliminary public offerings (ipos) and organizations elevating billions of bucks in huge inventory-marketplace debuts. But there’s a lot greater to the group than breaking information and making headlines within the manner. Like different capital markets groups at banks, ecm agencies may be defined as a cross among investment banking and sales & buying and selling. In case you’re in this institution, you’ll spend most of your time advising organizations that want to elevate fairness capital.
“raising equity capital” method that the enterprise sells a percentage of possession in itself in alternate for coins – in place of elevating debt, where the company keeps its possession however must pay interest on the finances it increases. There’s a surprising quantity of controversy online about this group, from how “properly” it’s far to what the genuine exit possibilities are. We’ll take a look at all the factors in this text, as well as recruiting, group systems, normal deal workflows, on-the-task tasks, and more.
Sometimes students work in ECM and then accept full-time services. Elsewhere, they are conducted through a group or “date selling” process.
Some analysts join the team by recruiting outsiders, sometimes because the corporate banking team is looking for a better life balance.
The ECM Investment Banking team hiring process and interview questions are similar to those you get elsewhere in financial interviews.
We anticipate questions on accounting, equity, and costs involved, measurements, DCF analysis, and modeling.
For the basics, check out our How to Write a Business Listing guide. Questions about M&A trading and leveraged buyouts are a bit less than what I’m used to working in ECM, but in an entry-level interview, almost everything was fair game.
The main difference is that you have to pay a lot of money for the business. You can discuss recent issues and patterns, metric performance, and how recent IPOs and valuations have happened in your area of interest.
You can plan what to say about these issues by following the business discussion examples.
To learn more about the recent IPO, Renaissance Capital’s “News and Information” section is helpful. It is more difficult to find information on future public offers and changes, but sometimes the NY Times DealBook is good to help.
If you’re interviewing for the role of a convertible bond, you should also familiarize yourself with calls, puts, and the basics of how to value convertible bonds and create payoff diagrams.
The textbook Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives by John C. Hull can be a useful reference; we also cover convertible bond accounting and valuation in our IB Interview Guide and Financial Modeling Mastery course.
Team Structure of Equity Capital Markets
Most people talk about ECM Investment Banking as a group, but in fact it is split into several different groups in most banks.
- Equity Fabrication This platoon pitches companies on raising capital and also executes backing deals similar as IPOs and follow- on immolations.
- Syndicate This group communicates with other banks to coordinate deal prosecution – since utmost equity deals involve other banks in order to distribute threat.
- Convertible Bonds/ Equity- Linked This group helps companies raise capital with “ convertible bonds, ” which start out as debt admeasurements but convert into equity if the company’s stock price reaches a certain position.
At some banks, the ECM platoon might sit on the trading bottom since there’s significant commerce with salesmen and dealers.
As an Critic, you might resolve your time between a many assiduity sectors within ECM, but as you come more elderly, you ’ll tend to specialize in one area(e.g., healthcare or technology).
Eventually, some banks also have Private Placements brigades, which help companies raise capital by dealing equity to a small group of large investors( rather than a broad request immolation).
Private Placements let companies raise significant capital without going public, and they ’re especially popular among after- stage technology companies.
Stock Market Analyst Responsibilities: Workflow, Project, and Sample Allocation
Your primary role at Equity Capital Markets is to tell the story of a company’s growth potential so that it can raise capital from investors.
Performance varies depending on the group you join and use contract changes as the product becomes more commercial.
On the Equity Origination side, you can expect tasks such as the following:
- Cross-Holding Analysis: This allows you to compare owners of different companies. Usually, you can tell potential customers, “Hey, similar company X has these vendors. You share some, but not all of them, so you need to focus on new investors when investing.” Here is an example.
- Shareholder Dynamics Analysis: Here we describe which investors increase or decrease their stake in a company by identifying the company’s shareholders over time. You typically use this information for a specific purpose, targeting customers who seem most interested in the business.
- Financial modeling: And yes, we also do financial modeling. But there’s a reason that’s the end of this list. Much easier than modeling an M&A deal or a leveraged buyout. Comparison companies allow you to measure expectations or identify how company members and assets change after a request. Below you can see an example of an IPO template.
Equity Capital Markets vs. Investment Banking
ECM Investment Banking is an integral part of investment banking and almost all medium and large banks have business groups.
The main differences are groups specializing in equity trading instead of debt or M&A trading and operating in multiple markets rather than a single sector.