In India, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is responsible for ensuring food safety and quality. The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare of the Government of India formed it as an independent body.
As part of India’s Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act), the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) was founded. It prevents food adulteration and the sale of substandard items by ensuring that food products are thoroughly tested. The Food Business Operators (FBO) in India are registered and licensed by the Food Business Operators (FBO) Registration and Licensing Authority (FBORA) in India.
Enrollment in the FSSAI
A FSSAI Registration or License is required for every food business involved in the production, processing, storage, distribution, and sale of food products. To get the license you must welcome FSSAI trainer in Ambala as they help you to gain for your food business.
The FSSAI Registration differs from the FSSAI License in that the FBO should obtain the relevant registration or license based on the size and nature of the business.
On each food packaging, there is a 14-digit registration or license number. Details regarding the assembling state and the producer’s permit can be found in the 14-digit registration number. As a result of this registration process, FBOs will be held more accountable for ensuring the quality of their products. Under the Food Safety & Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Business) Regulations, 2022, food businesses are required to register and be licensed.
Members of the Food and Drug Administration’s Regulatory Agency (FDA)
It is a legal requirement for any FBO engaged in the following types of business to have an FSSAI Registration/License:
- Shops like a Confectionery or Bakery Shop and Snack Shop are examples of small retailers and retail shops.
- Temporary stalls or stationary stall or food premise, such as a Gol Gappa stall, chat stall, fruits/vegetable vendors, Tea Stall, snacks stall, Bread pakoda stall, Samosa store, Chinese cuisine stall, South Indian food stall, sweet shop, juice shops, etc.
- People who wander from one site to another selling prepackaged or freshly prepared food (often on foot or in mobile carts).
- Milk Chilling Units, Petty Milkman, and Milk Vendors are all types of dairy businesses.
- Form-A (application for registration) or Form-B (application for State and Central License) can be completed and submitted on the FoSCoS portal by FBOs seeking FSSAI registration. Alternatively, FBOs can submit Form A or Form B to the Food and Safety Department in order to be registered.
- Applicants for FSSAI registration must provide the necessary paperwork. It is required that all documentation be provided either electronically via the FoSCos site, or physically to the Food and Safety Department in conjunction with the application.
The submitted materials will be examined by the Department
In some cases, the Department may perform a food premises inspection prior to issuing an FSSAI registration certificate.
The Department will provide an FSSAI registration certificate with the registration number and the applicant’s picture email ID if it is satisfied that the FBO fits all the requirements. The FSSAI registration certificate can also be downloaded by logging into the FoSCoS portal by the applicant.