What kinds of certifications are necessary for London landlords?

A image of Certificate
Spread the love

You must give tenants several important pieces of information. Your property needs a current Energy Performance Certificate. An EPC rates a property’s energy efficiency from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) so potential renters can evaluate its financial running expenses, Certificate.

Energy Performance Certificate:

EPC inspections require an accredited assessor. Private landlords in England and Wales must have an EPC rating of at least E to rent their buildings. Read our blog on how to increase energy efficiency.

New and prospective tenants should receive the EPC certificate. EPCs last 10 years:

Since June 1, 2020, landlords must assess and test their rented houses’ electrical systems every five years. Wiring, plug sockets, lighting, fuse box, electric showers, and extractors are inspected. A licensed electrician must inspect. You must give tenants the report before they move in or within 28 days of the inspection.

The report must be remedied within 28 days. The electrician shall give written certification of corrective work completion to landlords and tenants within 28 days.

Cookers, fridges, and TVs are exempt from the requirements. However, landlords should PAT any electrical appliances they give.

Read our landlord electrical safety guide and visit gov.uk for more on the new electrical safety standards.

Gas Safety Certificate:

Annual gas appliance and flue safety checks are required. Gas Safe-registered engineers perform the checks. You can now do checks 10–12 months after the previous check while preserving the expiration date. If checks are done outside of this time, the deadline will be 12 months from the latest check.

You must give your tenants a copy of the safety check within 28 days. New tenants should receive this. If you took use of the flexible time frame, you must keep copies of the record for at least two years and any checks until two further checks are done.

Legionella Risk Assessment:

Legionnaire’s disease is pneumonia caused by waterborne Legionella bacteria. Legionella bacteria are found in household water systems and storage tanks with water between 20°C and 45°C.

Assess Legionella risk to tenants as a landlord. A basic examination may reveal no dangers and no additional action.

Domestic hot and cold water systems are low risk if:

There is daily water usage, which is inevitable if your property is occupied

If you conduct the risk assessment yourself, generate or download a template to fill out and give to your tenants. Hire a legionella risk assessment company.

Fire Risk Assessment:

Landlords must install a smoke alarm on every floor and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room with a solid fuel-burning appliance like a fireplace or wood stove.

The landlord must check the alarms before each tenancy. To protect yourself and your tenant, keep proof of these checks.

HMO fire safety is stricter. The Regulatory Reform Order 2005 requires the responsible person for multi-occupied residential buildings to conduct a fire risk assessment in communal spaces to ensure fire safety for residents. Landlords or multi-occupied buildings can do this fire risk assessment themselves or employ a third-party.

Protection Documentation:

You must place your tenant’s deposit in a tenancy deposit protection (TDP) scheme within 30 days of receiving it and provide the following “Prescribed Information”:

The deposit amount, property address, tenancy deposit system, landlord, tenant, and any other parties who contributed to the deposit.

Download a Prescribed Information form from your supplier or tenant deposit protection scheme.

England and Wales residents can use any of the following schemes:

Deposit Scheme

Governments Renting Checklist

Landlords should give tenants the government’s How to rent: a checklist for renting in England. Your tenant can print or email the guide. Get a receipt.

This guide explains landlord and tenant rights and duties. It covers everything from what to look for before renting to living in a leased property to what occurs at the conclusion of a tenancy to what to do if something goes wrong.

Exceeding Expectations:

Make sure your property is safe for tenants before and throughout tenancies. You are responsible for safety in locations without testing certificates. Install and test smoke alarms. To protect yourself and your tenant, keep proof of checks. You should do the minimum legal checks and testing. High safety requirements protect your tenant and property.


Contact us immediately if you are new to letting or looking to switch letting agents in Central London, including Marylebone, Regents Park, St. Johns Wood, and Maida Vale. We’ll explain your landlord paperwork and certificate duties.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to receive the weekly Newsletters from our website. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you.