Today, almost everyone has an internet connection, and the internet has become an indispensable part of our lives. We are living in an era where our lives would practically stop if there were no internet available. From schools to workplaces, an internet connection is required everywhere; however, not only an internet connection but a fast and reliable internet service has become an absolute necessity.
A speedy internet is needed for things like online surfing and processes that work in the background of our systems, such as virus protections and firewalls. It is also said that a faster internet connection leads to more productivity as it helps in multitasking. In today’s household, high-speed internet is crucial because almost every family member requires more bandwidth to stream videos, play video games and attend online meetings.
However, having a fast internet connection is not easy and is a dream for many people worldwide. According to various surveys, a majority of the world population faces internet speed issues, and the funny thing is that they neither know why it is slow nor are they aware of the process for fixing it.
You’ve found the perfect site if this scenario is one you are familiar with because today, we will help you with 11 ways you can make your internet faster. But before that, let us help you understand why your internet might be slower than expected.
Viruses and Spyware – One of the main reasons many people face slow internet speeds is that add-on programs run on the system that consumes the bandwidth. For example, spyware listens to keystrokes on your system. It monitors your activity, whereas a virus causes poor internet performance as it tries to propagate itself by sending its copies via email or other means.
Overloaded DNS – Another reason your internet could be performing poorly is that the DNS provided by your internet service provider is overloaded with users.
Damaged Cables and Coax Splitters – This one is among the things that often go unnoticed by most people. Damaged and coaxial cable splitters are among the major reasons for degrading signal strength and slower internet speed.
Ways to Speed Up the Internet Connection
Here are some useful things you can do to control sluggish internet speeds.
- Getting Rid of Background Applications – As we mentioned earlier, background programs are one of the major reasons for slow internet. However, at this point, we are not talking about spyware and viruses, as we will cover them later. The programs we are talking about now are applications that are using your bandwidth for things like downloading. An effective way is to open your task manager and close such applications by clicking “end task.”
- Use a VPN – Many people use VPN for privacy purposes; however, they don’t know that a VPN can drastically affect their connection strength. This is how it is always recommended to use and buy VPN with the bandwidth and infrastructure to support faster connections, such as Ivacy VPN.
- Clear Browsing Data and Cache – Cache data is usually used to make a process faster. Still, usually, it does the opposite when too much is stored, which is why it is always recommended to clear your browser cache and history after some time.
- Updating The System – Another way to boost your internet speed is by updating your device drivers and the firmware powering your system. This is because these updates fix performance bugs that lead to faster internet speeds.
- Using an Ethernet Connection – Wi-Fi is an amazing technological advancement, but it is still not faster than a wired connection. Connecting your system to an Ethernet cable can drastically improve your connection.
- Restarting the Modem or Router – If your router or modem has been active for a long time, then chances are that it has gotten due to overloading. To avoid this, you should reboot your device every once in a while.
- Replacing the Modem or Router – Sometimes, a reboot is not enough for your modem and router. You may sometimes have to accept your circumstance and replace your old device with a new one with more features and strong signal strength.
- Fix Your Hardware – Maintenance is crucial if you want high-speed internet, so you should keep checking for damaged wires and coaxial connections and replace them if you find them.
- Get Closer to The Router – Walls, bookshelves, and cupboards have the power to dampen your Wi-Fi signals, so if such is the case, then the best option would be to either move your router to an open space or move closer to the router for a better online experience.
- Get an Optimizer – Many people don’t know this, but optimizers can help massively improve your internet speed as they keep cleaning the trash on your system that is using your bandwidth. Most optimizers often come with anti-viruses; these can help keep spyware and viruses at bay.
- Try Another DNS Server – As we said earlier, DNS servers often get slow and overloaded, so it is best to switch to another DNS server. To do this, you must do a simple google search, and you will find tons of ways.