A flight attendant, additionally called steward/stewardess or air host/air hostess, is a member of the aircrew aboard business flights, many enterprise jets and a few authorities’ aircraft. Collectively known as cabin crew, flight attendants are generally accountable for passenger protection and comfort. The position of a flight attendant derives from that of comparable positions on passenger ships or passenger trains; however, it has extra direct involvement with passengers due to the limited quarters on aircraft. Additionally, the process of a flight attendant revolves around protection to miles more volume than the ones of comparable personnel on different varieties of transportation. Flight attendants on board a flight together shape a cabin crew, as outstanding from pilots and engineers withinside the cockpit.
The first woman flight attendant became was a 25-year-old registered nurse named Ellen Church. Hired through United Airlines in 1930, she additionally first estimated nurses on aircraft. Other airways accompanied suit, hiring nurses to function flight attendants, then called “stewardesses” or “air hostesses”, on maximum in their flights. In the United States, the process turned into one in all just a few withinside the Nineteen Thirties to allow ladies, which, coupled with the Great Depression, caused big numbers of candidates for the few positions available. Two thousand ladies were carried out for simply forty-three positions supplied through Transcontinental and Western Airlines in December 1935.
Becoming an Air Hostess is a promising profession choice for younger, clever and extrovert women. It offers a thrilling revel in of touring exclusive places, interacting with people at the same time as flying excessive withinside the sky. Many younger women choose the profession due to the thrilling enjoyment of flying, touring distinctive places, interacting with special sorts of people on board and for the very appealing pay package. The air hostess is referred to as the primary individual to welcome a passenger, her welcoming smile and greeting renowned each passenger.Liberalisation of air rules have elevated the personal operation of air offerings and this has created titanic process possibilities on this field. Even though this profession offers thrilling enjoyment, it isn’t always as smooth as it seems.
Being an air hostess continues to be a dream for plenty from all around the world. An air hostess tours and discover all around the world. To come to be a successful air hostess, it’s far very essential to be able to be mentally and physically fit. Besides that, your persona needs to additionally be attractive.
- To end up an air hostess in India one need to have exceeded magnificence twelfth examination from any stream. Your age restriction needs to be 18 to twenty-five year old. Candidates who’ve exceeded 10+2 exam or any bachelor diploma are eligible to apply. For a woman air hostess a minimal peak of 157. 5 centimeters with weight proportionate to the peak could be a must.
- Further, one have to be single with regular eyesight of 6/6 uncorrected imaginative and prescient in every eye. Fluency in English, Hindi, and understanding a global language is a added advantage. A flight purser, male counterpart of the air hostess, needs to be a graduate (underneath 26 years of age), and feature a minimal top of 163 cm with proportionate weight.
- To have a successful profession as an air hostess it’s far very crucial to get trained in an excellent institute. There are a few training institutes throughout India that give numerous training programmes to come to be an air hostess. The major requirement for any candidate could be to have desirable looks and to be in good health. This is a relatively stressful process that calls for a lot of persistence and includes unusual duty hours.
Here are some of the top institutes in India for becoming an air hostess:
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training.
- Bombay Flying Club College of Aviation, Mumbai.
- Universal Aviation Academy, Chennai.
- Jet Airways Training Academy.
- Indigo Training Centre.
- Avalon Academy, Dehradun.
- Air Hostess Academy, Delhi.
- Avalon Academy, Dehradun.
- Air Hostess Academy, Delhi.
- Avalon Academy, Dehradun.
- Air Hostess Academy, Delhi.
There are some skills which are essential to have a successful career as an air hostess:
- sense of responsibility
- Pleasing personality
- Presence of mind and initiative
- Good physique Patience to work lengthy hours
- Systematic method closer to duty
- Good appearance
- Communication and interactive skills
- Language proficiency
- Pleasant voice
- Team spirit
- Positive attitude
- Sense of humour
If you need to grow to be an air hostess after your studies then here’s a listing of a number of the pinnacle air hostess guides that you could take into account to your profession boom and destiny prospects.
- Airport Ground Services
- Air Hostess and Flight Steward
- Aviation Cargo
- Aviation Security Awareness Basic
- Hospitality & Customer Service
- Pilot Training (MPL)
- Flight Depatcher (to be launched)
- Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Hospitality, Travel and Customer Service
- Professional Cabin Crew Services
- Air-Hostess Hospitality Training
Joining the airlines
- Airline corporations announce task openings from time to time. Selection manner includes a sequence of tests.
- Written examination on aptitude, intellectual capacity and reasoning
- Group discussions (to check your crew work and crew spirit)
- Interviews (for language checking out and communication)
- After this you’ll be absorbed to the airways. Some airways recruit immediately at the same time as a few others recruit with sub-agreement placement corporations. Job may be in flight or ground, relying at the modern requirement of the organization. You can transfer from one agency to any other or one function to any other (Ground to flight), consistent with their regulations and agreement you sign with. Job in global flights are taken into consideration the great because of global requirements saved through the agencies and nice revenue packages.
With increasing privatisation and foreign collaboration each day, the long run is bright for an air hostess. Most airline offices are trying to extend their fleet and there’s a requirement for air hostesses. They will notice employment within private owned domestic and international airlines corresponding to Sahara, Singapore Airlines, Jet Airways etc and government air services like Air Asian country and Indian Airlines. Studying and ability development may be a constant issue during this career, particularly if you’re sportfishing for promotions. once concerning ten years as an air hostess, you’d be touched to jobs such as Ground Hostess, Check Hostess, or alternative airline connected jobs. Though airlines typically advertise for recruits, people could send applications on their own initiative.
It relies upon at the airways you’re working for; in India Air Hostesses with lesser revel in or freshers could get Rs 16,000/- to Rs 25,000/- consistent with month and skilled applicants can also additionally count on to earn Rs 75,000/- approx consistent with the month or more. On the opposite hand, overseas airways could provide income starting from Rs 2. 5 lakh to Rs 3 lakh consistent with month. International airways pay higher than domestic ones, however even home air hostesses earn approximately Rs.25000 – Rs. 40000. In senior positions you may be paid as much as Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 75,000 in home airways. Private airways would possibly pay you Rs.2 lakh a month.
Uniforms and presentation
The first steward uniforms were designed to be durable, practical, and encourage confidence in passengers. Within the 1930s, the first female flight attendants wearing uniforms resembling nurses’ outfits. The primary female flight attendants for United Airlines wore inexperienced berets, green capes and nurse’ shoes. Alternative airlines, equivalent to japanese Air Lines, truly dressed female flight attendants in nurses’ uniforms. Each male and feminine flight attendant for Hawaiian Airlines wears acknowledgement shirts as their uniform.
Since the Nineteen Eighties to present, Asian airlines, particularly emblem carrier ones, typically features the normal dress and materials of their various country in their female flight attendants’ uniform. It had been meant as a selling strategy to showcase their national culture yet on convey hospitable heat and hospitality. For example, Thai Airways flight attendants are needed to alter from their company purple suits into traditional Thai costume before passengers boarding. whereas the uniform of Garuda Indonesia feminine flight attendants could be a changed kebaya, galvanized by the normal batik motif of knife Gondosuli, the motif is named Lereng Garuda Indonesia. Malaysian and Singapore Airlines flight attendants wear batik prints in their uniform. Vietnam Airlines flight attendants wear red dress and Air India flight attendants wear a saree on all traveler flights.
Prior to every flight, flight attendants and pilots move over protection and emergency checklists, the places of emergency system and different capabilities particular to that plane type. Boarding details are verified, together with unique desires passengers, small kids touring alone, or VIPs. Weather situations are mentioned which include expected turbulence. A protection test is performed to make sure system together with life-vests, torches (flash lighting fixtures) and firefighting system are on board and in right condition. They display the cabin for any uncommon smells or situations. They help with the loading of carry-on baggage, checking for weight, length and perilous goods. They make certain the ones sitting in an emergency go out rows are inclined and capable of help in an evacuation.
They then supply a protection demonstration or display passengers as they watch a safety video. They then have to “steady the cabin” making sure tray tables are stowed, seats are of their upright positions, armrests down and carry-ones stowed efficiently and seat belts are fixed previous to take-off. Once up withinside the air, flight attendants will typically serve beverages and/or meals to passengers the usage of an airline carrier trolley. When now no longer appearing for customer support duties, flight attendants have to periodically behavior cabin tests and concentrate for any uncommon noises or situations. Checks have to additionally be executed at the restroom to make sure the smoke detector hasn’t been disabled or destroyed and to restock substances as needed. Regular cockpit tests have to be executed to make sure the fitness and protection of the pilot. They have to additionally reply to name lighting fixtures managing unique requests. During turbulence, flight attendants have to make sure the cabin is stable. Prior to landing, all free items, trays and garbage have to be gathered and secured together with carrier and galley system. All warm drinks have to be disposed of. A very last cabin test have to then be finished previous to landing.
ADVANTAGES AND DISTAVANTAGES WORKING AS FLIGHT ATTENDANT
Having a job that allows you to travel the world, meeting different people and allows you to do many other exciting things is one of the greatest perks of becoming an air hostess. But it also comes with its own disadvantages which is important to know:
- You’ll be able to travel across the world or at the least the country. Flights journey throughout the globe so does you too. In among lengthy flights, you may get one or 2 days layover. With your privilege pass, you could roam round and go to close by places. Anyway, don’t believe too much. Unless your flight goes to a few vacation destinations, you won’t be capable of revel in the splendor of the area fully.
- Aviation could be a prestigious industry. You may be supplied with world class food at modest restaurants of the city. Thus you ought not to worry a lot of concerning your appetite. Safety in job is of utmost importance. Aviation is one in all the smallest amount forgiving careers to mistakes. Easy mistakes from groups of people resulted in major air crashes of history. So, safety is of highest priority together with personal safety. That means, you’re safe at work. New rules came recently protective interests of air crew, that indecent behavior from passengers lead to significant penalties to passengers, creating the setting additional safe to work with. remuneration of air-hostesses are high compared with jobs of equivalent qualification. Even beginning salaries are within the vary of 25,000 to 35,000 Rs, per month, in domestic services in India. Within the high end, it ranges somewhere between 1.5 lakhs to 3 lakhs per month counting on the airlines and kind of flight.
- Normally, aviation associated guides are very costly. Pilot training, for instance charges a tiny 50 lakhs+ Rupees. Aircraft preservation engineering charges 7-10 lakhs, aeronautical engineering charges comparable 7-10 lakhs and so on. However, Air hostess schooling charges someplace among 50,000 Rs to two lakh Rupees primarily based totally on the length and extra qualifications you get.Being an now no longer so large amount, it is simple to avail loans for education. From private loans to academic loans, hobbies variety among 6% to 13% in step with year. Good education schools offer quicker placements primarily based totally to your performance, making it simpler to pay off loans out of your very own income itself.
- While talking about disadvantages the maximum crucial drawback is you work away from domestic. Though flights are fast, you can now no longer be capable of attain domestic in an emergency.
- Age bar is very crucial. Age is a determining element for this task. As you know, it’s far difficult to discover air-hostesses elderly greater than forty years, in reputed airlines. That means, this task is for you while you are young, energetic, clever and lively. Hope you understood what I mean. You have to posses these kinds of characteristics to turn out to be an air-hostess. You can be kicked out of the task each time after forty years of age. Recommended age for becoming a member of the profession is 18-26 years. So, if you want to turn out to be an airhostess, higher begin your schooling while you are sixteen or 17 years old.
- If you’re coming from a orthodox family it might be difficult for you to be in this profession. If you’re too orthodox for your wondering and behaviour, this profession is truly now no longer for you. It is for the open-minded, socially lively those who assume liberally. If you’re from a strict orthodox own circle of relatives, your own circle of relative’s contributors won’t just like the manner you talk, get dressed and behave together along with your customers. So, assume earlier than you leap.
- Don’t be creative. If you have artwork or creativity on your mind, simply lock it there. In this job, you’re imagined to comply with the commands set by the airline. You might be taught what to inform and the way to inform, the way to walk, the way to greet others etc. So no creativity at all.
- If you’re a moody person? Doesn’t matter. Work with a smile. You might also additionally have temper swings much like any human being. But you aren’t intended to reveal them to the passengers. Greet them and communicate to them with a smile, even when you have grief on your mind. Of route you may take go away or an afternoon off, however while you are at work, you’re supposed to be with a pleasing smile.
FAQ RELATED TO BECOMING AN AIR HOSTESS
Is there any exam for becoming to be an Air hostess?
The students have to finish their 10+2 board exams or any equivalent examination from an acknowledged board or institute. The applicants want to attain no less than 60% marks of their board checks if you want to be eligible for this course.
Is having career as an Air hostess is considered good?
Career as an Air Hostess gives extremely good increase opportunities. After final touch of the course, a candidate receives an possibility to work with home airways. With experience, air-hostess/flight steward can work with global airways also.
What are the best colleges offering air hostess/cabin crew courses?
These are some of the top colleges offering air hostess /cabin crew course:
- Rizvi College of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (Mumbai)
- Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition (Chennai)
- Apeejay Institute of Hospitality (Navi Mumbai)
- Amrapali Institute of Hotel Management (Haldwani)
- Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition (Guwahati).
Well, becoming an air hostess is not easy it requires proper qualifications, skills & training. It is true the job allows you to travel the world, and many more. But, at the same time it comes with its own responsibilities and duties.