Paul John Gascoigne, nicknamed Gazza, born on 27 May 1967, is a 54-year-old English former professional footballer who played as an attacking midfielder, scoring 10 goals in 57 games for the English national team between 1988 and 1998. The National Football Museum describes him to be “widely recognized as the most naturally talented English footballer of his generation.” He commenced his career in football as a schoolboy at Newcastle United, before turning a professional with the club in the year 1985.
Gascoigne is amongst the richest Soccer players and according to Wikipedia, Forbes & Business Insider, his net worth is approximately $100 thousand.
Paul Gascoigne Overview
|Name||Paul John Gascoigne|
|Birth Date||27 May 1967|
|Birth Place||Gateshead, County Durham, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Spouse(s)||Sheryl Failes (married 1996 – divorced 1999)|
|Children||3 (Bianca, Mason, Regan)|
|Net Worth||$100 Thousand|
|Occupation||Soccer Player, Manager|
|Teams Managed||Kettering Town (2005)|
|Awards||BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award|
Paul Gascoigne Early Life
Paul John Gascoigne, nicknamed Gazza, was born in Gateshead, County Durham, on the 27th of May, 1967, and was named so in homage to Paul McCartney and John Lennon of the Beatles. His mother, Carol, was a factory worker, and his father, John (1946-2018), was a hood carrier.
He went to Breckenbeds Junior High School, and later to the Heathfield Senior High School, both of which were situated in the Low Fell area of Gateshead. He caught the eyes of some football scouts while he was playing for the Gateshead Boys, however failed to impress in a trial held in Ipswich Town. Later more trials were held at Middlesbrough and Southampton but to no avail. Eventually, Newcastle United signed him in 1980. Gascoigne frequently kept on getting in trouble along with his friend, Jimmy “Five Bellies” Gardner, and once, they were even taken to court and fined over a hit-and-run incident.
Gascoigne proved to be extremely successful on the football field, however, his childhood was marked by tragedy. At the very beginning, his family shared a single room in a council house with a shared bathroom and had to move houses quite a lot of times during his early life. At the age of 10, Gascoigne was witness to the death of Steven Spraggon, the younger brother of his friend, who was killed in a traffic collision with an ice-cream van, while out with Gazza; and he felt that his friend’s death was his fault which left him burdened with guilt. The next tragedy he experienced was when a friend, died while working for Gascoigne’s uncle on a building site. Around the same time, his father began to suffer from seizures. Being exposed to so much pain at an early age, Gascoigne also began developing twitches and was hence was taken into therapy, but soon quit as his father was skeptical over the methods of treatment used. Gascoigne went on to develop an obsession with gaming machines, spent all his money on them, and also began shoplifting. This was also the time he started playing football on the streets, and at one point confessed that he began to contemplate “death aged just seven when walking home alone after playing football.”
Gascoigne made a commitment to provide financially for his family, his parents, and two sisters, when he realized that as a professional footballer he could make a lot of money than anyone in his family could. He thoroughly enjoyed playing football, and wrote that “I didn’t have twitches or worry about death when I was playing football.” On his 16th birthday, he was signed as an apprentice at Newcastle United.
Paul Gascoigne Personal Life
Gascoigne got married to his long-time girlfriend Sheryl Failes in Ware, Hertfordshire, in July of 1996, after being together for around six years. However, the marriage ended in divorce in 1999. In 2009, Sheryl published a book titled Stronger: My Life Surviving Gazza, which spoke about her relationship and marriage with him as well as shed light upon a lot of his scandals. Gazza has three children, two of them being stepchildren, Bianca, who is a model and a television personality; and Mason, from his marriage to Sheryl. Moreover, Sheryl and Gazza also shared a child of their own named Regan.
In the year 2018, Gazza and Sara Lovatt, an art gallery boss, started seeing each other, but on August 9 of the same year, he declared that he had ended the relationship.
Paul Gascoigne Career
Gazza commenced his career with Newcastle United prior to being sold to Tottenham Hotspur for a £2-million transfer fee. He signed a two-year £120 a week contract at Newcastle, at the age of 18.
Gazza joined Tottenham Hotspur in the year 1988 and the team went on to win the FA cup. Later he went to join Lazio and after that Rangers, where he accumulated more trophies. He returned to England to play for Middlesbrough in the Premier League and then Everton. He later had spells at Burnley, Gansu Tianma in China, as well as non-league side Boston United, before ultimately retiring.
After his retirement, he lapsed into alcoholism and entered himself in a rehab center in Arizona in order his life.
Paul Gascoigne’s Salary / Income
|Per Year||Per Month||Per Week||Per Day|
|$ 4,00,000||$ 32,000||$ 8,000||$ 1140|
|Per Hour||Per Minute||Per Second|
|$ 19||$ 0.3||$ 0.05|
Paul Gascoigne Books
Gascoigne has three autobiographies published:
- Gazza: My Story (with Hunter Davies) – 2004
- Being Gazza: Tackling My Demons (with Hunter Davies and John McKeown) – 2006
- Glorious: My World, Football and Me – 2011
Paul Gascoigne Controversies
- In October of 2010 Gazza was arrested for drink-driving and confessed that he was four times over the legal limit.
- Once, he was arrested for cocaine possession.
- Gazza was fined £1,000 in the year 2013 after his confession of drunkenly assaulting a railway security guard at the Stevenage station.
- In 2014, he was sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
- In 2016, he was fined £1,000 for humiliating a black security guard with a racist joke, “Can you smile please, because I can’t see you?”
- In 2019, Gascoigne was found not guilty of sexually assaulting the woman he was accused of forcefully and sloppily kissing while he was drunk.
Paul Gascoigne Key Facts
- Appointed player coach at Boston United FC in July 2004.
- Resigned as player coach at Boston United FC October 2004.
- Appointed Manager of non-league Kettering Town in October 2005.
- Dismissed as Manager of Kettering Town after 39 days due to alcoholism in December 2005
- Suffers from OCD.
- Arrested over alleged assault on a photographer.
- Made public that he wishes to be referred to as G8, which is a combination of the first letter of his surname and the number he wore through most of his footballing career, to cement his improved image.
- He cried in the 1990 World Cup semi-final after he was issued a yellow card that meant he would be suspended for the final if England qualified.
- In 1990 his performances FIFA World Cup, earned him the honor of BBC Sports Personality of the Year, making him the first footballer since Bobby Moore in 1966 to win the award.
- He played 57 matches for England and scored 10 goals.
- He was notorious for being able to score from free-kicks a long way from the goal.
- FA Cup winner with Tottenham Hotspur FC (1991).
- His first international goal was against Czechoslovakia on 25 April 1990.
- Made his England debut against Denmark on 14 September 1988.
- He was dropped from the England team shortly before the 1998 World Cup and hasn’t played for the national side since.
FAQs related to Paul Gascoigne
- Who is Paul Gascoigne?
Paul John Gascoigne, nicknamed Gazza, was born on 27 May 1967, is a 54-year-old English former professional footballer who played as an attacking midfielder, scoring 10 goals in 57 games for the English national team between 1988 and 1998.
- What is the net worth of Paul Gascoigne?
The net worth of Paul Gascoigne is $100 Thousand.
- Does Paul Gascoigne have children?
Yes, Gazza has three children, two of them being stepchildren, Bianca, who is a model and a television personality; and Mason, from his marriage to Sheryl Gascoigne. Moreover, Sheryl and Gazza also shared a child of their own named Regan.
- How tall is Gazza?
Gazza is 5 ft 10 in tall.
- How old is Paul Gascoigne?
Paul John Gascoigne, nicknamed Gazza, was born on 27 May 1967, making him 54 years old.
- Why was Gazza’s house robbed?
Paul was robbed of £140,000 worth of jewelry, for which he has made a plea asking for the return of the items stolen.
- Who is Paul Gascoigne dating?
As of 2021, Paul Gascoigne is not dating anyone. He was once married to Sheryl Failes but they went their separate ways in 1999.
- What is Paul Gascoigne Earning per day?
Paul Gascoigne’s earning per day is $ 1140.
Paul John Gascoigne, nicknamed Gazza, born on 27 May 1967, is a 54-year-old English former professional footballer who played as an attacking midfielder, scoring 10 goals in 57 games for the English national team between 1988 and 1998. Gascoigne is amongst the richest Soccer players and according to Wikipedia, Forbes & Business Insider, his net worth is approximately $100 thousand.
He got married to his long-time girlfriend Sheryl Failes in Ware, Hertfordshire, in July of 1996, after being together for around six years. However, the marriage ended in divorce in 1999. Gazza has three children, two of them being stepchildren, Bianca, who is a model and a television personality; and Mason, from his marriage to Sheryl. Moreover, Sheryl and Gazza also shared a child of their own named Regan.